For most visitors to Seattle, a stop at the Space Needle is a must. Now you have something else to add to the ‘must do’ list- the Chihuly Garden and Glass Exhibit.
Located at the base of the Space Needle, there is little reason to not see it. This turned out to be one of our favorite activities while in Seattle. If you plan to see a few popular tourist spots in Seattle, check out getting the CityPASS which provides access to both of these and more at a fraction of the cost.
We were treated to a VIP tour of the museum which made it even more captivating. Our guide Suzanne, told us the history and thought behind each of the 8 rooms we visited. One of our favorite moments on the tour was when she laid down on the floor with our son to show him the best view of the Persian Ceiling room! Even other visitors started testing it after they saw her do it. You should wow visitors and try it as well. It really does provide a great view of the masterpiece.
Walking through the various rooms, you will be captivated by the glass works you see. If you don’t know much about glass blowing (I didn’t), it won’t really hit home how amazing this is until you see the live demonstration in the courtyard.
We sat mesmerized for 45 minutes watching two glass blowers work diligently to make a ‘simple’ vase. Seeing how much work went into this tiny article makes you realize how much time and how many people would have been needed to create Dale Chihuly’s masterpieces on display.
- The live glass blowing demonstration (call in advance to plan your visit around it)
- Video presentations providing more information on Dale Chihuly and glassblowing
- Searching for glass babies in the Persian Ceiling. Can you find all 10?
- Try your hand at getting a photo of the Space Needle’s reflection on the blue globe in the garden
Have you been to the Chihuly in Seattle? Have you seen his works in other parts of the world? I didn’t know much about him at all before our visit, but now I can’t wait to start looking for his creations on all of our travels.
If You Enjoyed This Post, Sign Up To Receive Posts By Email or...
- Join us on Facebook for regular updates and related articles
- Check us out on Instagram to see what we are up to in photos
- Follow us on Twitter for links to great travel articles curated just for you
- Or share this post with others by pinning on Pinterest!
1 thought on “Chihuly Garden and Glass in Seattle”
A great look at a truly underrated attraction in the Northwest. So much great glass artwork and craftsmanship in the Seattle and Tacoma area. Thanks!